It is estimated that one of every three Americans has a sleep disorder which makes life miserable whether that person is awake or asleep. Many of the people suffer needlessly because they are unaware that problems exist.
The Sleep Center, located at Morehead Memorial Hospital, offers diagnostic testing of sleep/wake disorders on an outpatient basis. Patients referred to the center are monitored by a team of qualified and specially trained individuals using state-of-the-art diagnostic medical equipment. The center offers services to patients with the following disorders:
- Sleep apnea—A life-threatening disorder which causes you to stop breathing repeatedly during your sleep
- Narcolepsy—A lifelong disorder characterized by uncontrollable sleep attacks during the day
- Nocturnal myoclonus—A disorder involving frequent leg movements and leg jerks during sleep
- Parasomnia—Problems that occur only during sleep or are brought about by sleep, such as nightmares, sleepwalking, sleep talking and bedwetting
- Gastroesophageal reflux—A disorder which is caused when acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus during the night